The medical information published on this website is not intended to serve as a substitution for a thorough evaluation from a qualified healthcare provider.
Furthermore, no one should act upon any of the information (including medical conditions or procedures) contained within this website without appropriate medical advice, a thorough examination or any evaluation necessary to provide a health assessment from a qualified physician.
Who better to address your cosmetic concerns than the same team that has delivered expert gynecologic care for over 25 years? Our passion is helping women feel their best, inside and out. Hyaluronic acid, or HA, is a natural substance in the body that delivers volume to the skin. Modified HA is the main ingredient behind JUVÉDERM®. Getting treated with JUVÉDERM® helps add volume to different areas of the face without surgery while also temporarily restoring the volume loss beneath the surface.
What is JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC? JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC injectable gel is for injection into the lips and perioral area for lip augmentation in adults over 21.
Are there any reasons why I should not receive any JUVÉDERM® formulation? Do not use these products if you have a history of multiple severe allergies or severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis), or if you are allergic to lidocaine or the Gram-positive bacterial proteins used in these products.
What precautions will my doctor advise me about?
- Minimize strenuous exercise and exposure to extensive sun or heat within the first 24 hours following treatment. Exposure to any of these may cause temporary redness, swelling, and/or itching at the injection site.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. The safety of these products for use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding has not been studied.
- The safety of JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC has not been studied in patients under 18 years.
- JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC are intended for use in the lips and perioral area. The safety and effectiveness for treatment in other areas have not been established in clinical studies.
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of excessive scarring (thick, hard scars) or pigmentation disorders. The safety of JUVÉDERM® products has not been studied in these patients and may result in additional scars or changes in pigmentation.
- Tell your doctor if you are on therapy used to decrease the body’s immune response (immunosuppressive therapy). Use may result in an increased risk of infection.
- Tell your doctor before treatment if you are using substances that can prolong bleeding, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or other blood thinners. As with any injection, this may result in increased bruising or bleeding at the injection site.
- Patients who experience skin injury near the site of injection may be at a higher risk for adverse events.
What are possible side effects? The most commonly reported side effects with JUVÉDERM® injectable gels included redness, swelling, pain, tenderness, firmness, lumps/bumps, bruising, discoloration, and itching. For JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC injectable gels, most resolved within 14 days or less. For these side effects are consistent with other facial injection procedures.
Most side effects will resolve with time. Your doctor may choose to treat side effects persisting over 30 days with antibiotics, steroids, or hyaluronidase (an enzyme that breaks down hyaluronic acid).
One of the risks with these products is unintentional injection into a blood vessel. The chances of this happening are very small, but if it does happen, the complications can be serious and may be permanent. These complications, which have been reported for facial injections, can include vision abnormalities, blindness, stroke, temporary scabs, or permanent scarring of the skin.
As with all skin injection procedures, there is a risk of infection.